Wednesday 23 April 2014

Is English Changing?

Mr Crystal and myself :-)

In my last trip to Madrid-  where the VII Congress for EEOOII took place, I happened to meet David Crystal!!!!

I  listened to the outstanding speech he gave about the language of text messaging and ITCs in general. I was astounded by his confidence and correct English and I was lucky to get a photo of myself with him (and also I told him  a bit about my blogs...) :-)

Anyway,  I think he is a genius whose knowledge and wisdom broadly support the work of us teachers.


Hoping you enjoy the video, which is only part of a quite interesting interview!




David Crystal is a writer, editor, lecturer, and broadcaster. He published the first of his 100 or so books in 1964, and became known chiefly for his research work in English language studies, in such fields as intonation and stylistics, and in the application of linguistics to religious, educational and clinical contexts, notably in the development of a range of linguistic profiling techniques for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. He held a chair at the University of Reading for 10 years, and is now Honorary Professor of Linguistics at the University of Wales, Bangor. These days he divides his time between work on language and work on internet applications.

David Crystal's authored works are mainly in the field of language, including several Penguin books, but he is perhaps best known for his two encyclopedias for Cambridge University Press, The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language and The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language. Recent books include A Little Book of Language and Begat: the King James Bible and the English language (both 2010) and a linguistic autobiography, Just a Phrase I'm Going Through (2009). Co-authored books include Words on Words (2000, a dictionary of language quotations compiled with his wife and business-partner, Hilary - Wheatley Medal, 2001) and Shakespeare's Words (2002) and The Shakespeare Miscellany (2005), the last two in collaboration with his actor son, Ben.

Other Shakespeare work includes a regular article for the magazine of Shakespeare's Globe, Around the Globe. Think On My Words, an introduction to Shakespeare's language, appeared in 2008. All Shakespeare books can be viewed at The Shakespeare Portal. A new version of the glossary went live in 2008: see Shakespeare's Words.

3 comments:

Saro Rosales said...

you're great

Carla said...

Hi dear,

Woww...I'm speechless, OMG, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that incredible pic!!

I mean, what a lucky woman you're. Mr. David Crystal has written more than fifty books about the English Language use. By the way, it seems to me, he speaks with a clear R.P., doesn't he? I would like to speak in that way... what an amazing dream! (I really love the way he speaks)

Congratulations Dulce, I'm so happy about your incredible meeting with this VIP.

Thx 4 share teacher!!

Carla

Jannie Funster said...

Wow, his first book came out the year I was born!

How cool you got the photo of you with him! Wonderful to see you, my friend.

I think English is a dynamic, yet basic grammar is good to keep on track -- and if everyone had my 8th Grade English teacher -- we'd all have PERFECT English. :) She was a stickler, that old sweetie.

xo